viernes, 22 de julio de 2011

Tough In Costa Rica

So when is the last time you read a Blog about meat?  Specifically, the meat we eat here in Costa Rica?  After having had several experiences with hard-to-chew beef (carne), I got to learn about grass-eating “free-range” raised cattle, which is the standard here.  These animals are tough….and I do mean tough.  So I had my trepidations when invited to Bobby’s house for a steak bar-B-Q.  But WOW!  What a surprise!  “Like butta”.
“So Bobby….are these steaks from Argentina or Chile or where?”  “Nope”, he wryly explained, “looks like I have to introduce you to Don Fernando”.
Don Fernando has their own ranch in San Carlos and grain-feeds the cattle and raises their stock more like it’s done in the states.  They have four butcher shops spread around Costa Rica, the closest to Jaco being Santa Ana.  It looks like a fine butcher in Beverly Hills in every way except prices.  Filet Mignon is $15/kilo (about $6.80 per pound….and Ruth’s Chris would be proud to serve it.  I bought steaks, pork chops, sausage, hamburgers and lots of other stuff.  They plastic shrink-wrap your purchases…any way you may want, which is perfect for a single person.  Stock the freezer, and then take it out as you wish.
So now I call Bobby and ask, “How is your meat holding up?  Are we ready for a trip to Don Fernando?”
As soon as my website is up, I will have links to a lot of interesting places, including Don Fernando.
Got to go now. I’m meeting friends at Tsunami Sushi.  Wednesday night is 1/2 price night.  Are you starting to see why retiring in Costa Rica is becoming more and more popular?
Contact me if you want additional info on Jaco Beach or Costa Rica in general.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario